“I saw an opportunity to transform academic publishing through the "open access" model.”
- Year selected
Hindawi Publishing Corporation was founded in 1997 and has subsequently developed a portfolio of more than 370 English-language scholarly journals. In 2005, Hindawi landed on Open Access – a concept that leverages digital publishing and Creative Commons licensing to make articles freely available, swapping traditional journal subscriptions for author processing charges as a way to cover costs. Over the last five years Hindawi has become one of the three largest Open Access publishers worldwide with plans to launch 50-100 new journals each year for the next five years. Hindawi has recently acquired the ownership of The Scientific World Journal, which is a peer-reviewed journal that covers a wide range of subjects in the life sciences and environmental sciences. This journal has been published since 2000, and it is the largest acquisition in Hindawi’s history.
- IPA Copyright Symposium: "Beyond Copyright: Open Access as an Alternative Business Model" (article based on Ahmed's talk)
- Research Information: Interview with Ahmed
- UKSG: "2020: A Publishing Odyssey" (Ahmed on the three big changes that will affect scholarly publishing)
- The Daily News Egypt: Profile of Ahmed and Hindawi
- All Business: "Hindawi Publishing: Catering to Open Access"
entrepreneur spotlightsView All Entrepreneurs
Support the cause
Endeavor transforms the economies of emerging markets by identifying and supporting high-impact entrepreneursI want to get involved