“I saw an opportunity to transform academic publishing through the "open access" model.”
- Year selected
Hindawi Publishing Corporation was founded in 1997 and has subsequently developed a portfolio of more than 370 English-language scholarly journals. In 2005, Hindawi landed on Open Access – a concept that leverages digital publishing and Creative Commons licensing to make articles freely available, swapping traditional journal subscriptions for author processing charges as a way to cover costs. Over the last five years Hindawi has become one of the three largest Open Access publishers worldwide with plans to launch 50-100 new journals each year for the next five years. Hindawi has recently acquired the ownership of The Scientific World Journal, which is a peer-reviewed journal that covers a wide range of subjects in the life sciences and environmental sciences. This journal has been published since 2000, and it is the largest acquisition in Hindawi’s history.
- IPA Copyright Symposium: "Beyond Copyright: Open Access as an Alternative Business Model" (article based on Ahmed's talk)
- Research Information: Interview with Ahmed
- UKSG: "2020: A Publishing Odyssey" (Ahmed on the three big changes that will affect scholarly publishing)
- The Daily News Egypt: Profile of Ahmed and Hindawi
- All Business: "Hindawi Publishing: Catering to Open Access"
Eliane Borges dos Santos
Pablo Gonzalez Cid
Cafe Punta del Cielo
Intel Mobile Communications
Support the cause
Endeavor transforms the economies of emerging markets by identifying and supporting high-impact entrepreneursI want to get involved